Saturday, May 20, 2017

McCalls 6844, A Very Useful Sweater



I am perpetually chilly in air conditioned settings and love a good lightweight knit sweater for the summer.  I began to have cute sweater envy when I saw the Blackwood Cardigan from Helen's Closet and I have always admired Grainline's Driftless cardigan, however I could not justify buying either pattern when I already had a cardigan pattern in my stash, unused but graded for my sizing and cut out and ready to go!

I realized what I liked about the two independent pattern designs were their pockets, cute details and simplicity.  So...I added a few of those things to my McCalls pattern and am super happy with the result.


You can see I added pockets that are simply rectangles and belt carriers which are long tubes of fabric.  I free handed all of these details as well as the tie belt.  Its just a long tube too!


Construction:
The entire sweater was basted on my machine and then serged together with the exception of the pockets and other details.  I stabilized the shoulder seam with twill tape and although the pattern instructed you to ease the shoulder seams together I didn't bother with that detail.

Fabric:
This was a length sent to me in a mystery bundle from Fabric Mart Fabrics.  I believe its a linen knit and probably has no lycra or very little.  Its very breathable and super comfortable.


I find that sometimes the simplest designs with a few added details make me the happiest.  I also find that when I use what's in my stash, practice contentment and get to work I can generate the feeling that I am a good steward of my resources (enter smug self satisfied feelings)- and give myself an excuse to fill the now empty hole in my fabric stash :) !! Ha ha!

Happy Sewing and thanks for reading!
Elizabeth

4 comments:

  1. Sweaters are so very useful - love them. You made a very nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Faye! BTW I love your blog AND I love that you are a fellow Georgian! I am not technically a Georgian (born in Alabama) but now reside here!

      Delete
  2. It turned out great! That color is so versatile, too. And yes to being able to fill the stash hole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Masha! It is a very versatile color and try as I might I can't deny that solid garments are probably what I should focus on sewing rather than all the cute prints! But the cute prints get me every time so thats probably what will go in the stash hole :)

      Delete