Saturday, January 25, 2014

Ruby Dress Part Dos

Drumroll, please.....

Here is my Ruby top!  Please excuse the slight cheesiness of the photos.  (My husband asked if I was taking pictures for a Match.com profile...just a date with the internet, that's all!)




Overall, I love this top.  Just a few notes:

  • The fabric is a light aqua floral print rayon from Joann's that I picked up on clearance a few weeks ago.  I guess I really haven't done much sewing with rayon, and forgot/didn't realize what a slippery little devil it can be.  But it's really comfortable, and drapes really nicely, and I love the color combination of the aqua and reddish/orange. 
  • The Ruby Dress is designed as a sleeveless top, but I haven't worn anything sleeveless in a long, long time.  Many of you will understand.  So I added the sleeves from the Washi expansion pack, and they fit well, except for a little tightness in the underarms (aka, the armpits).  So next time I might cut the armscye a little deeper
  • For the first time ever, I did a blind hem on the bottom of the shirt.  I've been the proud owner of a blind hem foot for about a year, but never had the time/energy/bravery to try it out.  So what better time to learn how to do it than 10 o'clock at night?  So I read this tutorial, and then when that didn't make enough sense I read this one, and I still couldn't figure it out.  I am very spatially challenged, and while those tutorials would probably have been enough for the ordinary person, I could not quite wrap my mind around what I was supposed to be doing.  So then I watched this video.  And somehow, miraculously, it all came together.   The inside of the hem is pretty ugly, but by golly, I have a blind hem on my shirt.
I would love to try the Ruby Dress at some point, so that's going on my "To Do" list for this spring.  The Ruby Dress, a pair of boots, and a cute little jacket...I can see it now.  Cute outfits are in my future. 

Coming Next Week-- Kid's Clothing Week! Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. Hooray!!! I love it! And I can definitely see that outfit you described with a dress version! I think I'll have to add that to my to do list too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hanni, I love this top!!! It is adorable on you and I can't even see the blind hem ;) Rayon can be a booger but it drapes so pretty. I don't sew clothes much anymore, guess I just got burned out making them all those years and it didn't help that all that was available was Walmart cotton/polyester blend. That stuff was as stiff as a board. I love this blog that you and Liz have started. Fun stuff!! Happy sewing, Holly (Elizabeth's older- but not too old-sister)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! I hear that you make some pretty incredible items yourself (I've seen some of it at our craftfairs!). Glad you're following along with us, it's good to know there is someone out there reading besides just the two of us :)

      Delete