Friday, May 18, 2018

Madras Liesl + Co Terrace Dress


With the arrival of summer heat these past couple of weeks I've been clamoring to sew, light weight cotton projects.  I love a light weight cotton shirting, voile, lawn and in the case of this project, Madras, are all favorites.  I recently finished McCalls 7629- a camp style shirt in cotton voile for Faye's sewing adventures "Tops that Pop" sew-along and was reminded how much I love breathable fabrics in the summer heat.

When I finished this project I wasn't so sure that I made the right pairing of fabric and pattern...I made another Terrace dress in an adorable bold print for my next Fabric Mart Fabricista post and think that I just got it stuck in my head that this pattern was meant for solids and bold prints. 
After looking at these pictures I think this one is really wearable and will be great for summer. 



Some notes on the pattern:
  • Liesl + Co patterns are of the best quality.  Clear instructions, straight forward and illustrative.  Always a nice finish on the inside.
  • The Terrace dress is a really simple sew, no closures and just a few pattern pieces.  Good for a beginner.  
  • I lowered the bust dart on this version by about an inch.  
  • I shortened this version but can't remember by how much. 
  • Pockets.
  • The shape of this dress is really good, there's subtle shaping that keeps it from feeling like a sack.  The shoulders are fitted as well as the high bust then the skirt goes out into an A-line shape and when cinched in by the obi belt it is really adorable. The back seam helps with adding shape as well.



I wanted to include a couple of shots of the dress sans belt so that you could get an idea of its shape.  I won't wear it like this but if you wanted to, its passable.  


A little teaser...I absolutely adore the version that I made for my next Fabricista post and have worn it to a birthday party, party barn picnic, and kindergarten graduation.  You'll have to check it out on the Fabric Mart blog in early June. 

Thanks for reading and happy sewing!
Elizabeth

3 comments:

  1. This is really lovely! I think it's a great pairing of fabric and pattern. The nicest Terrace dress I've seen yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelly! Thats a really sweet compliment!!

      Delete
  2. I am extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this one these days.mermaid wedding dress

    ReplyDelete