Thursday, July 24, 2014

Retro Reproduction Dress: Corduroy & Pockets

The Retro Reproduction Dress FREE Pattern is available here.
The pattern and tutorial for the Bubble Pockets are available here



Today was our cool-weather day for the week (82 degrees today, compared to upper 90's the rest of the week!), so it seemed like an appropriate day to try out a Fall outfit.  Last winter I bought some corduroy  on clearance at Joann's with the intention of making a cute jumper for my daughter-- which, of course, I never did.  But now with the Retro Reproduction pattern available I have no more excuses-- it's easy, quick, versatile, and you can do so much with it (come on, that was a great sales pitch!  Are you sold on it yet?  And did we mention that the pattern is free?!)

Anyway, the Retro Reproduction dress makes a GREAT corduroy jumper to wear with a long-sleeve t-shirt and leggings.  Perfect for those cooler months.  For this version I decided to add bubble pockets (I'm not sure if that's really a thing, but it seems like it should be) with an exposed lining and piping.





These pockets are perfect for a three year-old:  they are just the right size for all the little figurines that she loves to carry around. 

And despite the summer weather, we did test it out with the long-sleeve t-shirt and leggings.



So what do you think?  Is there enough interest to have these pockets as an add-on to the pattern? Are there other variations you'd like to see?  We'd love to hear your feedback!

22 comments:

  1. I love it!! The pockets are adorable. Today D#2 (who is 8 yrs old) told me she wanted to make herself a dress! Yay!! We were working on an American Girl doll outfit and I guess the bug has bit her. Our goal this summer was to have a Summer sewing class and I had hoped this would get her interested in sewing. I will have to show her E's corduroy dress. I just love it! Great job and happy sewing, Holly
    ps. I haven't told Elizabeth yet, but a Joann's just opened near us!!! I am so excited!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! This pattern would be really cute in an 18" size, hmmm, you're giving me ideas! How fun that your daughter wants to learn how to sew!

      Delete
  2. This jumper is soo cute - I wish my daughter was a little younger - I'll have to take that bubble pockets idea and stick on another a-line pattern I have. I love your fabric choices as well - I llllove grey with any aqua. She looks so hip and casual in her outfit with the boots, leggings and shirt. Great pattern and awesome execution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We weren't sure if older children would wear a pattern like this, but maybe we'll extend it up a few sizes some day. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. That is super cute! The pockets are sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love how they turned out too-- they're just the right size for all those Littlest Pet Shop animals! Thanks for stopping by the blog!

      Delete
  4. That is so cute on E, and she is a darling model. You did a lovely job on the jumper and it looks really cute with the leggings, boots and t-neck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane! I'm getting anxious for fall weather so we can start wearing some new outfits. I might have to make a few more of these colder months!

      Delete
  5. Love, love, love it! The pockets are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cute! Big pockets are the best for all the exploring little ones do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, these pockets are perfect for rocks, leaves, and Littlest Pet Shop animals! And they are a great way to show off some fun fabric. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Those pockets are so cute!! Love your color/fabric selections too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love finding fun contrasting fabrics!

      Delete
  8. Cute! Love the pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please add the pockets to the pattern! They are adorable and I have a granddaughter that needs this jumper for Christmas! I'll keep watching for it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellie, the pockets are officially on my To-Do list! Check back again in the next month or so, and hopefully they will be ready! And if not, feel free to remind me! :)

      Delete
  10. Seriously! I just stumbled upon this dress (via pinterest). I HAVE to have those pockets! They make the dress! Super-Duper Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Madly in love with the pockets in particular! Awaiting anxiously the pattern for it with Ellie I guess... Maryam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my those pockets are simply gorgeous :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! This could be made so many different times and still look fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing nice information about corduroy dresses with us. i glad to read this post.

    ReplyDelete