Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Easter Dress #1 and Stash Busting Top

 Here's the first of two Easter dresses as per the request of my Mom.  She has been asking for an Easter preview and with the help of a few whoppers malt balls I was able to capture these pictures.  Big girl is pretty sick right now so she is in no shape for a photo shoot. 
 The Pattern:
This is McCall 5964, an out of print pattern that I used for little bit's Christmas dress (here's the link to the Pattern Review).  I never blogged about her Christmas dress but it was adorable and fit great.  This is a solid little pattern and I have no idea why these simple, solid patterns get discontinued so often.
I lengthened the dress since she's taller now.  I added 1/2 inch to the bodice and 3/4 length to the skirt pieces.  Width wise it still fit her perfectly (she'll be three in June for size reference).  As far as construction, I love the way this pattern is put together, it is fully lined with the skirt lining shaped to be narrower than the skirt which allows for the tulle floofyness underneath.  The sleeves have sweet gathers that make the sleeves stand out from the dress. 

One thing about the accent around the waist, I am always trying to figure out how exactly to finish the waist accent on dresses, I've used piping, ribbon sashes, fabric sashes, etc and the thing I like about this version is it is nicely contoured to the waist and hugs it just enough.  There are no loops to worry with or bows to come undone, although I love a big bow in the back of a child's dress its nice not to have to worry about it coming untied. 
 The Fabric: 
The eyelet is some I've had in my stash bought years ago at Joann's fabrics.  I used it for big girl's Easter dress last year blogged here.  I love eyelet but I've had a difficult time finding eyelet that is good quality.  The pink fabric used for the accents and lining was thrifted and has a pretty cross weave.  The tulle is some pink sparkly stuff and I have no idea when or where I bought it or for what purpose.  The girls use it for dress up but now its a great little hidden sparkly layer to this dress. 
Will she wear it?
Indeed she will.  She loves the specialness of a new floofy dress and was so cooperative about her Christmas dress that I think this one will be a hit too.  

Now on to a stash busting top for me.
You have no idea the shenanigans that were going on while I took these pictures, bitty girl was pretending to be a ghost with a blanket over her head and in nothing but a diaper.  Hilarious.

This is the Made by Rae Ruby top I've made once before.   This time I wanted to try the Ruby pattern on a men's silk shirt refashion.  I thought this silk shirt would make a great Ruby top since the weight of the fabric is similar to rayon challis which I tried before.  I cut the back of the Ruby top on the fold of the front of the men's shirt and now the buttons are a decorative accent down the back of the Ruby. 
The back of the men's shirt is the new front of my Ruby top.  I didn't even have to hem this shirt because I used the existing hems.  The black yoke and cap sleeves are another silk from a refashioned shirt.  The piping is some homemade flat bias tape piping.  
 I love the way the fabrics feel and I have plans to make more of these when I can find the time.  The cap sleeves are not a part of the original Ruby pattern but a part of the Washi Expansion Pack from Made by Rae.  I didn't like the pointy part of the sleeve on the front of my blouse so I just tucked in the front part of the sleeve to make it rounded in the front.  The back of the sleeves, as you can see above, I left pointy. 

Again I can't wait to refashion more thrifted silks this way, the biggest challenge is finding a men's shirt large enough and without front pockets.  I might have to try some other thrifted silks in the future!  You really can't beat the price of a thrifted silk and you won't cry if your project crashes and burns!  How about you, do you have any patterns you use for men's shirt refashions? 

Linking up to "Sew it Chic in a Week" at Gray All Day

10 comments:

  1. Oh my beautiful little bit. What a darling model. The Easter dress is perfect for her and fits very well.
    I do like your silk refashion. I'll bet it feels nice next to your skin. Good job. Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the coolest men's shirt refashion I've seen! I love the buttons on the back, great idea! All in all perfect for a lazy seamstress like me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It was fun to use this silk since I have those lazy seamstress tendencies too and not having to hem it was great. I have a couple other silk men's shirts (relics of the 90's) that I can't wait to cut up and refashion.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE THIS! I am going to run out and see if I can find something similar right away! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck finding a silk shirt, I have another one that was my husbands from the 90's, I chuckle whenever I think of him wear that big silk shirt. Ha ha! Would love to see how it works out for you.

      Delete
  4. Great shirt refashion. I've got a man's rayon shirt awaiting refashion - I think I'll use the front buttons for the back of a new shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and good luck to you! To keep everything in place I put a line of basting stitches down the button placket next to the buttons, that way it was easier to find the middle and keep everything nice and even.

      Delete
  5. What a cute dress, and your top is perfection! Love it! Just wanted to let you know that I'm featuring you at our weekly link party! http://www.thelifeofjenniferdawn.com/2015/04/a-little-bird-told-me-link-party-135.html

    ReplyDelete