Friday, May 2, 2014

Lulu Dress and Top

I have long been a fan of the creativity of Jess at Craftiness is Not Optional .  So last week, when I received an email from her telling me that I had been chosen to be a pattern tester for her new Lulu Top and Dress, I kind of felt like I had won the lottery.  (Ok, I'd probably be much more excited if I won the lottery, but I was still pretty excited).  So this past week was spent sewing up a couple of versions of the pattern and admiring the work of the other testers and having fun while doing all of it.

This is a GREAT pattern-- easy and quick to sew, versatile, can be every-day wear, and it's really, really adorable.  The pattern has two options, a top and a dress length, and then a number of variations that can be added: cap sleeves or sleeveless, a tie bow, faux button placket, top pocket, and skirt pockets.  It's also a great opportunity to combine fun fabrics!

The first version I made was the top.   I used an upcycled t-shirt for the top, and some vintage hand-me-down fabric for the skirt. I also added the top pocket. It fit perfectly!  For the top, it only takes a 1/2 yard of fabric for the skirt, so it's a great way to use up some of the smaller pieces in a fabric stash.

 

 After the top turned out so well I of course needed to make a dress.  Once again I used an upcycled tee for the top, and then for the bottom I used this pink fox fabric from Joann's.  I had been hoarding this fabric for a number of months, and this finally seemed like a worthy project to use it on-- and it didn't take nearly the yard that it called for, so I still have enough left over for something else.  




I LOVE how this turned out.  I could say more but I'd just be gushing.  So I'll leave it at that.  And here's one more picture showing off the pockets:




 And one more just because it's so cute:


The pattern was just released today, so go check it-- it's a great project for this weekend!


14 comments:

  1. They are adorable, I especially love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I loved seeing your Lulu dresses as well! :)

      Delete
  2. This is such a cute pattern and the model is precious. You do lovely work. Jane ( Elizabeth's mom)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane! We're having so much fun doing this!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley! I loved seeing all your dresses also, and your daughter is adorable!

      Delete
  4. oh my goodness, too cute! i love the dress, no wonder you're gushing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's hard to imagine anything from this pattern not turning out well!

      Delete
  5. Totally get the lottery feeling! You've made gorgeous garments and your little model is too cute! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My model requires payment in jelly beans (really, it's more of a bribe), but she's good at what she does! :)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful dress and she looks very happy in it. Absolutely lottery feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The both look lovely, what a great pattern. Better than the one I have been trying to use :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely recommend this pattern, it's easy and seems to always produce cute results!

      Delete