Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter Dress 4.0

Happy Day after Easter!  In typical me-mode, I was working until late on Saturday night to finish my daughter's Easter dress for this year-- I'm always more efficient under pressure!  But it was worth it-- the results were beautiful (if I may say so).

For this year's Easter dress I used the Oliver + S Family Reunion Dress pattern.  I made this dress once before, about two and a half years ago for my daughter's dedication dress.  Since Oliver + S patterns are sold in two separate size packets, I wanted to be sure to use the pattern again before she out grew it.

The design is a lovely, simple A-line dress with lots of detail and professional finishes:  pintucks, a front button placket, and decorative stitching along the hem band.  In addition, I added piping around the neck band and button placket.  




I found the fabric at Sarah's Fabrics in Lawrence, Kansas.  This is one of the best fabric shops in the area, and although I don't make it there very often, it's worth the 45 minute drive.   It's like walking in to a fabric wonderland.  It's hard not to buy everything in sight.   This fabric is Tula Pink Fox Field Foxtrot Sunrise (found here).  It seemed perfect for  an Easter dress: in addition to the pinks, pops of aqua, and floral, it had rabbits and birds and foxes hiding throughout the design. 

While I did most of the sewing and construction on the dress, I had some help this time.  My grandmother, who was visiting for Easter, did the buttons on the front and back, as well as some amazing blind hem stitching by hand on the sleeves (seriously, it is amazing.  You would never even know the stitches are there.  I have a lot to learn!)

And we ended up with perfect weather for Easter--sunshine and 70's.  The Easter bonnet was from Target, a last minute addition to the outfit.



And here is a picture of my daughter with my grandmother, making each other laugh as we were taking pictures:


And finally, it really wouldn't be a photo-shoot without a few moments of an uncooperative child, would it?


8 comments:

  1. Adorable! Excellent job. Makes me wish I still had little girls to sew for. But eventually I will have grandbabies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love that dress! especially the little pleats at the front, what a lucky girl she was this easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is an absolutely beautiful dress. I particularly love the pintucking, the little panel of buttons, and the trim around the collar. Your attention to detail really paid off. Thanks for sharing (I hopped over from KCCO)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's absolutely gorgeous. I love the pattern and fabric is lovely. Your sewing skills are far better than mine, even if you do have a lot to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful dress and such a beautiful little girl.
    How very sweet that you got the photo of your grandmother and daughter , in this special moment. It will be very special to you forever.
    and how wonderful that Grandmother added the finishing touches.. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dress is ADORABLE but what I love most is that your grandmother did the finishing touches. My Grandma was the one who inspired me with my crafty and homemaking side but she passed away when I was 10. What I wouldn't give to have moments like these with her! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup- awesome! The dress is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete