Friday, April 11, 2014

Pintuck Dress

What I'm about to show you has been quite an experiment/learning process for me:  the first pattern that I have ever designed and drafted myself.  And somehow, it seems to have turned out exactly how I imagined! (With the exception of the wrinkles.  There were no wrinkles in my imagined dress).


For now, for the lack of a better name, I'm just calling it the Pintuck Dress, because, well, it has pintucks. Lovely pintucks that I'm quite proud of.


So just a few notes on the details.  It's a narrow A-line dress with pintucks, Peter Pan collar, and flutter sleeves, and piping.  It is constructed in three main sections, the bodice, skirt, and hem band.  My other version is color-blocked, with the skirt portion a different fabric from the bodice and hem band.  I love the simplicity and straight lines of the dress, as well as the vintage feel.  The dress was drafted using size 2 measurements, but is really about a 3T.

And here's the dress in action!






It fits my daughter perfectly, and is even comfortable enough to run around in.  I have to say, I'm really proud of how this dress turned out, and I can't wait to do some variations on it.  I'm also in the beginning stages of making it into a retail pattern, but it will probably be some months before it would be ready.  So if you would be interested in being a pattern tester and/or purchasing this as a pattern, please continue to follow our blog and look for future announcements.  And please, these are all very new skills for me, so any encouragement is appreciated!

4 comments:

  1. I love it and the details are amazing. Good luck with every step that you take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fantastic. I adore the colour but the pattern looks very clever too. Lovely details but a nice, simple shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Hanni, this is beautiful! It looks so cute on E. I love the pintucks, peter pan collar (my personal fav collar), and your color choices. I love to check out what you and E have been up to. Have a very Happy Easter, Holly

    ReplyDelete