Thursday, April 3, 2014

Easter Dresses from Easter's Past

About this time every year I gear up to make Easter dresses for my two girls.  Its something my Mother did for us every Easter so I guess its kind of in my DNA to feel like there should be beautiful dresses made at this time.  I remember so well the times my Mom consulted me on dresses, asking if I liked certain patterns and fabrics.  I still remember when I loved Little House on the Prairie books and specifically asked for "calico" fabric because that was what Laura's Mom used to make her clothes.

Here are a few of the dresses I've made for Easter's past.

Easter 2011


This dress is one of my absolute favorite McCall's children's patterns.  Its pattern 6269 and it just so happens that its out of print!  I love the cross over front, the contrast hem and bow.  The sleeves also have a cuff and I sometimes find that finishing hard to find on little girl dresses, often they're just finished with elastic which I'm not a fan of.  It is just a lovely little dress and looks so adorable on.  Why oh why does it have to be out of print!! 


Easter 2012

This dress is Simplicity 2461 and was super simple to sew.  The thing that I loved about this dress was the height of the yoke.  I just love that flowy look you get in little girl's dresses that have the high yoke line.  Also the peter pan collar was so sweet.  I added lace trim at the yoke and a few inches above the hem.  

Easter 2013

This was the first Easter that I sewed two dresses!  The first one is Simplicity 1921.  I had some problems with the neckline, it was drafted for a collar that I omitted only to realize the piping I added at the neck wouldn't play very nice with the bias tape finish.  Had to hand sew that down and I avoid hand stitching like the plague.  

The second dress was Butterick 3762.  I liked this dress for the most part.  If I ever sew it again I will take a considerable amount off of the hem.  It turned out a bit on the long side which, as I think back now, might have been my fault.  I think I added length since my daughter is on the tall side.  It was an easy sew as far as I remember.  

It inspires me to look back at old pictures of these dresses but also makes me realize I don't take quite enough pictures of my kiddos in them!  I will fix that problem this year!  So anyone out there gearing up for Easter dresses?  I'd love to hear if you are planning on making any Easter dresses this year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment